Pain Medicine Fellowship
The SAUSHEC Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship is ACGME accredited to train ABMS residency-trained physicians from any specialty. Although the majority of pain specialists come from backgrounds in anesthesiology, physical medicine & rehabilitation and neurology, we seek the most qualified candidates regardless of primary specialty certification. Completion of the fellowship and successful subsequent completion of the ABMS Pain Medicine written boards confers ABMS Pain Medicine certification. For those who complete the fellowship from a non-traditional specialty background, the testing and certifying board is the American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Contact us for more information regarding non-traditional applicants.
- 1 year fellowship
- 2 fellows in each class
- San Antonio Military Medical Center is the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the DoD as well as the DoDís largest medical center, ensuring a large and diverse patient population
- Rigorous interventional procedure training track
- Diversity in attending staff training: mix of military and civilian backgrounds
- Pain Medicine, Anesthesiology, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Neurology, Psychiatry, Psychology, Radiology, Neurosurgery, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Multidisciplinary care provided by in-clinic pain psychologists, physical and occupational therapy, medical massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, case management, physician extenders, and pain nurses.
- Rotation in Hospice and Palliative Care Medicine at UTHSC-SA
- Multidisciplinary case conferences involving numerous specialists discussing complex patients
- Significant research opportunities, co-located with US Army Institute of Surgical Research and the US Army Burn Center
- At least one paid conference or review course during the academic year is generally covered. Depending on research presentations, an additional conference may be covered.
Next Points of Contact
Program Director phone: (210) 916-2888
Fax: (210) 916-3050
SAUSHEC Multidisciplinary Pain Medicine Fellowship
Medical Education Department
Brooke Army Medical Center
3551 Roger Brooke Dr.
Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234-6200