San Antonio Military Medical Center
SAMMC is located on Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas and is the busiest inpatient medical facility in the Department of Defense.
A world-class medical center, SAMMC serves more than 250,000 beneficiaries throughout the San Antonio Region, offering the highest quality medical care for wounded warriors, service members, family members, retirees and civilians.
As a certified Level I Trauma Center, SAMMC receives more than 6,500 emergency room visits each month. It is one of only 31 hospitals in the United States that holds both Level I Trauma certification and accreditation from the American Burn Association. In addition, 40 beds are dedicated to the Army Institute of Surgical Research, which operates the only Department of Defense Burn Center — the Army Burn Center.
The hospital, formerly Brooke Army Medical Center, has cared for thousands of service members who were injured in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, and more than 1,180 medical professionals have been deployed in support of those missions.
Since the Global War on Terrorism began in September 2001, the Burn Team has made more than 100 trips to Landstuhl Army Regional Medical Center in Germany, transporting patients back to SAMMC for care.
The hospital sustains over 89 accredited educational programs to include 35 graduate medical education programs, six nursing programs with two nursing accredited programs, Emergency Medical Technician Basic certification programs, 24 allied health education programs, 18 enlisted allied health and Practical Nurse Course medic phase II training programs along with additional programs in administration and allied health specialties.
SAMMC services include:
- 66 Critical Care beds
- 35 Primary and Specialty Care Services
- 32 Sub-Specialty Clinics
- 28 Operating rooms plus OB, OMFS, and Burn
- Labor/Delivery/Recovery Unit
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) with ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation)
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- DOD's only Bone Marrow Transplant Unit
- Inpatient Psychiatry Unit Over 200 inpatient beds equipped for cardiac monitoring
- State-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterization Lab
- Traumatic Brain Injury Care and Research
- DOD's only Rooftop Helipad
For more information about SAMMC or other services, please visit e www.bamc.amedd.army.mil or call 210-916-4141.